We’re pleased to announce the 2018 Apollo Celebration Awards that will be given at this year’s Apollo Celebration Gala held at Kennedy Space Center on Saturday July 21, 2018. Each nominee has been selected for the genuine impact they have had in their respective arenas and will share their poignant stories with gala guests.
2018 Apollo Celebration Education Award – Dr. Carolyn Williams
2018 Apollo Celebration Pioneer Award – Gerry Griffin
2018 Apollo Celebration Innovation Award – Sir Richard Branson
Dr. Carolyn Williams is an advocate for educating underserved youth and serves as Chairwoman for the From One Hand to AnOTHER Foundation with an impressive curriculum focusing on S.T.E.A.M.M. —Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics and Motivation.
Gerry Griffin – at the heart of the remarkable Apollo Space Program was the team who worked in Mission Control. During NASA’s Apollo Program, Gerry Griffin was a Flight Director and served in this capacity for all of the Apollo manned missions. Incredibly, he was Lead Flight Director for three lunar landing missions: Apollo 12, 15 and 17.
Sir Richard Branson – Founder of Virgin Galactic – his mission is to create the world’s first commercial spaceline. Virgin Galactic is developing and operating a new generation of space vehicles to open space for everyone. Determined to innovate and create a better future for our society and our planet, they promise to inspire future generations and make it possible to see our beautiful home planet from a new perspective.
2018 Awards & Adventures
And if that isn’t exciting enough for you, gala guests are encouraged to seek their own thrills and adventures by bidding on some of the truly exciting adventurous auction lots.
Donated by the SomeWhere Club:
- Join award-winning photographer Scott Portelli for gorilla trekking in Rwanda!
- Or world freediving champion and underwater photographer Fred Buyle in the Azores to swim with sperm whales or blue sharks!
- Or fly in a microlight over the beautiful French countryside in V-formation with a flock of geese!
Donated by Wild About Lapland – bid to see the aurora in Lapland with many other activities included such as snow shoeing, ice fishing and thrilling reindeer and husky rides!
The Silent auction will go live at the end of June 2018. Proxy bids are possible for those unable to attend the gala – email email@example.com
The 2018 Apollo Celebration Gala is shaping up to be an exciting affair with astronauts, unsung heroes and significant members of the space community gathering under the Saturn V rocket from across all eras.
The final line-up will be announced in June, but (in alphabetical order) here are just some of the confirmed astronauts attending the 2018 event:
- Brian Duffy: STS-45, STS-57, STS-72, STS-92
- Charlie Bolden: STS-31, STS-45, STS-60, STS-61, Former NASA Administrator
- Chris Ferguson : STS-115, STS-126, STS-135
- Frank Culbertson, STS-38, STS-51, STS-105, Expedition 3, STS-108
- Jerry Ross: STS-61B, STS-27, STS-37, STS-55, STS-74, STS-88, STS-110
- John Creighton: STS-36, STS-51-G, STS-48
- Kathy Thornton: STS-33, STS-49, STS-61, STS-73
- Kevin Chilton: STS-49, STS-59, STS-76
- Nicole Stott: STS-128, STS-129, STS-133, Expedition 19, Expedition 20, Expedition 21
- Terry Virts: Former Commander of ISS, STS-130, Expedition 42, Expedition 43, Soyuz TMA-15M
- Winston Scott: STS-72 & STS-87
Also attending will be Gerry Griffin, the Apollo flight director in Mission Control as Lead Flight Director for three lunar landing missions: Apollo 12, 15 and 17.
Art will be playing a prominent theme in both the silent and live auctions this year aimed at raising crucial funds for education.
- After a stellar career as test pilot, Apollo 11 astronaut, diplomat and author, General Michael Collins (USAF ret.) now fishes, explores and paints the wilderness around his Florida home. He has generously donated two signed artworks.
- Renowned space artist Romero Britto is not only attending the gala in person but has donated some items one from his 2010 Buzz Aldrin Space Series.
- Inspired by man walking on the moon, popular French pop artist Remy Bond has donated one of his huge acrylics ‘Splash’.
- Also available are limited edition, signed pictures from space artist Paul Hudson, and Paul Calle, the only artist with the Apollo 11 astronauts as they had breakfast and prepared for their flight in 1969.
- Donated art and jewellery from space artist and NASA astronaut, Nicole Stott, who now dedicates her time to sharing the beauty of art from space.
The countdown to the big 5-0 of Apollo 11 starts with us on July 21, 2018.
The Silent Auction will go live in June. For anyone unable to attend the gala, proxy bids are possible for the live auction.
- EXCLUSIVE CHANCE TO BUY 2019 TICKETS AT THE 2018 EVENT
- UK’S ROCK STAR OF PHYSICS BRIAN COX ANNOUNCED TO MODERATE EPIC ASTRONAUT PANEL
This inspiring event offers guests a rare opportunity to see and hear from a group of the most notable Apollo astronauts. The evening’s gala will be emceed by CNN’s former lead space correspondent, John Zarrella, and the on-stage panel conversations will be moderated by the UK’s rock-star of physics, Professor Brian Cox (OBE). In addition to his Guinness World record for the largest science show ever performed, Cox is regularly seen hosting highly acclaimed science programs for the BBC. The collaboration of Brian Cox and John Zarrella will ensure engaging conversation with astronauts from the Apollo era to modern day space programs and guarantee to inspire a global audience.
In addition to witnessing an incredible astronaut panel, the Apollo Celebration Gala will honour this year’s winners of the Buzz Aldrin Space Awards and give guests in attendance the opportunity to bid on some highly collectible items from the personal collections of select astronauts with our top lots offering unforgettable lifestyle experiences. *Keep your eyes on the website for the astronaut line-up. Announcements will roll out from next month onwards.*
Guests attending the 2018 event, will be given exclusive access to purchase tickets to the 2019, 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing events! With demand already exceptionally high for 2019, this is the only way to guarantee your attendance for this historical event.
Tickets for the 2018 Apollo Celebration Gala are selling fast. VIP level tickets are almost sold out. The Apollo Celebration Gala is sure to be a night of surprises! Check the website (http://apollocelebrationgala.com/news) for a series of future announcements.